Friday, August 04, 2006

Palo Alto

I have planned this run all week, 16 miles over two of my favourite local runs. This, my longest run since that injury, daunts me. I now use Google Maps to list milestones, and my new Timex watch to record the time every mile. I thought this would add a new dimension, a source of tension, but I am learning it is actually nice to break down a long run into individual ‘little’ miles. I have learned how much time I waste at rest stops, and have realized my timing can get a big boost simply by stopping less.

The weather report has failed me – I set off in bright sunshine – a cloudy cool morning would have helped. I stash spare Gatorade in the bushes as the first loop begins, crossing the pedestrian bridge over the freeway, the thrill of running a few feet above cars zipping by. I am soon on the trail by the Golf Course, a view of Dumbarton Bridge in the distance. My right knee suddenly hurts, and I stop, walk, and set off again. I have to repeat this again, worrying I will have to abandon the run, but I am sailing along again, as I get to the little airport. Marshlands on my left, the Bay in the distance, and the bright morning sun drenching me with sweat, as I watch the twin engine planes take off. The sun is well over the East Bay hills, golden brown in the summer heat. ‘There is gold in them thar hills’.

I see men fishing in the little lake in the marsh, one sadly with a near empty bottle of rye. Photographers with long lenses capturing migratory birds. What snobbery to have a ‘Palo Alto Duck Pond’, just for grandparents to take little girls with a bag of bread!

I’ve made good time – less than an hour to complete the 5 mile loop and retrieve my Gatorade, and I run on towards Stanford. Quiet, urbane Palo Alto streets. Old trees, and nice old people. I offer ‘Bokar Tov’ to a brightly dressed Jewish family heading for the train station.

I am soon running the length of Stanford Avenue. Each cross street is a famous college - Yale, Amherst and so on. Apartments give way to professorial bungalows, and then I am past the half way mark of my run, wishing learned toffs good morning, as I get to the olive trees at the end of the campus. The sun is getting hot, and I eat a snack, as I go on, energy flagging.

Several distance runners on Junipero Sierra head towards the Dish. I pull myself together, straighten up, and try to get form and speed together. I am nearing the thee quarter point of the run, it is hot, and the body craves rest. Sand hill Road is a welcome distraction. This one road has the offices of all of the best Venture Capitalists. Billions of Dollars both in investments, and in personal net worth, come to work in the plush offices here. Which attract incredibly good looking staff, as well, as if that helps the rejected entrepreneur! I reflect on the year I spend doing the rounds at Sand Hill Road. Learned so much, yes, but did not get funded.

I give myself a 3 minute break at Stanford Shopping Center to refill water, and freshen up. This tired state is not conducive to looking at mannequins wearing outlandish costume, or to the music tinkling from Brooks Brothers. The mall is not open yet, I run through empty corridors, and get back to El Camino Real - 'King's Way'! I had decided to treat myself with a very slow pace, the last 3 miles, but some last bit of determination spurs me to try harder than that through downtown Palo Alto. I use the cracks in the sidewalk to lengthen my stride, pushing myself. The body can go on - it's the mind that plays tricks, convincing oneself it is perfectly acceptable to give up, to slow down.

I run past the church on Channing, and know I can make it - beat my 3 hour 15 minute limit to be back by 10.00 am. I am running against myself - who else cares? There are times I come almost to a halt, barely moving along, but straightening up, getting focused, makes it possible to go on, and to pick up some speed again.

I have used my stopwatch to mark each mile long lap, and, later, I am amazed mile 14 went by in 11 minutes. The mind can be trained to do endurance running. The bag of bones just goes along for the ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home