Friday, August 25, 2006

Hsinchu Science Based Technology Park

It is warm, already, as I set, off a little later than usual. Cloudy. No typhoons, or rain, fortunately, but Taiwan in August is tropical, humid.

I set off slowly on the familiar pavement. Broken brickwork, the weather ages the walls with mildew, green edges to the road, lush overgrowth, apartment buildings seem to droop, and wear an air of neglect. So like Bombay. Street dogs. A rush of scooters.

I am soon past the high school, and near the industrial park. I have often run there, past the hulking semiconductor fabs. TSMC and UMC. And AUO’s LCD facility – now the largest in the business. Together, these companies probably churn out more semiconductors than the rest of the world, combined. It is thrilling to run here. But strangely contradictory. Elsewhere, I choose nature trails, and seek out parks and trees. Here I think of the parry and thrust of the marketplace, design wins, and volume shipments. And failed start-ups that bite the dust.

I have always taken a left and run past the biggies. Know that path well. This time, perhaps because AUO dropped off the cliff, I see LiteOn away to the right, and follow the bike path – tiles monogrammed with a large wheel bike. LiteOn was the first Far East customer I worked with, many moons ago. Sprawling Taiwanese dinners with Jamie. Smoke and mirrors demos.

I pass Hwy 1 and turn into the industrial park. Familiar companies. SunPlus, WinBond. It is very hot, the sun now bright and strong. The humidity has me drenched with sweat. I make a few turns, and find myself in ChipMOS’s parking lot. Go thru and follow a curve in an inner road.

I should now be well on my way back, and begin to realize I have a problem. I am unsure of direction, and did not note the position of the sun, when I started. I am soon lost, and back track several times. The familiar names now confuse me further, and I realize some of these companies have multiple facilities here. I try to understand the maps at the bus stand, but they are impenetrable.

I am past my limit, tired and worn, running low on water. I ask for directions to AUO, and am not surprised I get pointed the way I was coming from. I back track to a major road, now very busy with scooters and cars heading to work. They do not respect pedestrians here! I dodge traffic to cross the road, and am on the bike path. Befuddled – cannot remember which way that large wheel pointed.

Regain posture, head up, lean, lift your feet, pick up some speed. I try to conjure up a cool breeze.

Bravo! I see the huge glass walled AUO building. I am hot, exhausted and thirsty running down the broken brick pavement. The stumbling Foreign Legionnaire lost in the swirling desert sand.

I stare at the large arrangement of flowers. Very symmetric. It is on a round table by the elevator. It takes time to realize I am standing in the lobby of my hotel, welcome air conditioning misting my spectacles. I am thirsty. I find I still have that last gulp of water I saved in the bottle.

Must be more careful about the bread crumbs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home